Image of RICS logo.

Leasehold enfranchisement

Image of a block of older flats.

Most residential leases are granted for terms of 99 or 125 years in length. There is usually a relatively small ground rental, which may be reviewed periodically. A lease is a wasting asset and as the remaining term becomes shorter, a property may be difficult to sell or mortgage. As a general rule, any lease with less than 70 years remaining can be problematical.

Over the years, legislation has given the right to leaseholders to extend their lease by an additional 90 years at a peppercorn (nil) ground rental (in fact, a new lease is granted). In order to qualify, the leaseholder must have owned the property for at least two years, but it is possible for a current owner to serve the relevant notice and assign their rights for a new lease to an incoming purchaser. Executors can also qualify.

The tenant will be liable to pay a premium as compensation to the landlord, who now has a much longer wait to obtain vacant possession of the property. The compensation is the present value of the ground rental lost and the loss of value of the reversion (the full vacant possession value of the property at the end of the lease term). If the lease has less than eighty years to run, the landlord is also allowed to share in the marriage value, which is the value released by combining the interests of both landlord and tenant. This is usually the largest element in the calculation and a lease extension under eighty years can be expensive.

The premium calculations are cumbersome and overly complicated, but most cases are settled by negotiation, particularly with lower value property where costs are a significant factor (the tenant is liable for the initial reasonable legal and valuation fees of the landlord). If the premium cannot be agreed, the case can be referred to The First Tier Tribunal for settlement. At tribunal, both parties are liable for their own costs.

The process can also be undertaken informally with the terms of the lease extension freely agreed between the parties with no requirement for an additional 90 year lease or a peppercorn ground rental. An initial informal approach can be useful, particularly with smaller private landlords.

The formal method of lease extension involves the serving of legal notices within strict timescales. This work is best undertaken by a solicitor familiar with the process.

Another option is for the leaseholders (there must be a majority of qualifying tenants) to purchase the freehold of their building or alternatively, to take over the management. Whilst this option brings control, there is also increased responsibility, which can be onerous, particularly with larger and more complex buildings.

Group enfranchisement can be a long and difficult process and it is important for the participating leaseholders to have a strong organizing committee to push matters along, particularly in larger blocks where many flats are owned by absentee investors (interest can wane quickly). It is essential that the participating tenants enter into a formal participation agreement at an early stage with some financial commitment. As with lease extension, the landlord is entitled to a premium to compensate for the 'forced' sale of its freehold.

Marshalls Chartered Surveyors can help with all aspects of leasehold enfranchisement. Please contact Richard Foulkes MRICS.


Marshall's undertake five types of residential property surveys.

We cover Oxfordshire and West Berkshire, along with adjoining areas of Hampshire, Buckinghamshire, Gloucestershire and The Cotswolds.

See more


Marshalls Chartered Surveyors are RICS Registered Valuers highly experienced in the local property market.

We undertake residential valuation instructions for all purposes, including shared ownership and Help to Buy. We also undertake expert witness work and can advise upon lease extension and enfranchisement valuations.

See more


Marshalls were established in 1979 and can offer great local knowledge and experience of all types of building.

We might not be the cheapest, but you can be confident that we are the experts in our field.

See more


In addition to residential surveys and valuations, Marshalls offer a full range of commercial services, including commercial surveys, schedules of condition and dilapidations advice on behalf of both landlords and tenants.

Note: we do not undertake commercial valuations.

See more

Party wall

Marshalls offer a full range of specialist Party Wall services, working for both building owners and adjoining owners.

If you have received party wall notices from your neighbour or you are planning to carry out works, we can advise you of your options.

See more

Lease extensions

A lease is a wasting asset and as the remaining term becomes shorter, a residential property may be difficult to sell or mortgage. You may need to consider a lease extension or possibly a freehold purchase.

See more

Property advice

A range of pages offering useful advice on various survey, valuation and general property matters.

From asbestos and bats through to toxic mould and woodworm, we hope this general property advice is useful.

See more

Contact us

Marshalls have offices in Oxford (01865-863020) and Newbury (01635-529777).

We cover Oxfordshire and West Berkshire, along with adjoining areas of Hampshire, Buckinghamshire, Gloucestershire and The Cotswolds.

See more